Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day 29

I started this blog as a way to document my efforts to live according to principles of nonviolence. Mostly I find myself writing about what's most alive for me on any given day. That's OK because I believe living nonviolently first and foremost requires awareness. It is most important to be aware of where my energy is focused. Sometimes my energy is focused on a conflict between myself and someone else. Sometimes what is most alive for me is gratitude for the simple comforts in my life or joy in making a connection with someone I love.

Some days it is hard to hone in on what is most alive for me. Sometimes my mind is less active and my thoughts less focused. Cows don't produce milk every minute of every day. Sometimes they just stand in the field chewing cud - that too is essential to the creative process.

This weekend I have spent a lot of time chewing cud. I made cookies and changed sheets and graded papers and read a book but I didn't think any big thoughts or feel inspired to create. Maybe tomorrow I will write my manifesto or find a way to end poverty. For today I rest. That's good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment