Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 26

There is something about finishing a good book that is a little like saying goodbye to an old friend. I sometimes even put off finishing so I can linger a little longer with authors I enjoy.

I just finished Cleaving: A Story of Marriage, Meat and Obsession by Julie Powell. She is also the author of Julie and Julia, my inspiration for starting a blog. She is so bold in the way she shares her personal experiences and reflections. I felt like I was being dared to do the same.

Near the end of Cleaving she recalls an emotional conversation with her husband. He says: "Life is messy. I'm tired of being scared of that...Things are going to happen, or not happen, and life is going to change, one way or the other, and I am tired of being terrified, angry that I can't keep everything the same, the way it was."

Wow, I love it when a passage jumps off the page and smacks me in the head.

I have always been a neat freak: always straightening, organizing, trying to rein in the chaos. It is my unwillingness to accept the messiness that has led to so much suffering in my life.

LIFE IS MESSY! EMBRACE THE CHAOS!

Perhaps this will be my new mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment