Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 15

I just love it when I get immediate validation for a change in behavior. I call it instant karma.

Yesterday I was on the phone with someone from the medical clinic where I recently had some tests done. It seems that my insurance wasn't in force at the time because I failed to fill out the proper forms. In my previous life I would have ranted and raved and demanded and cursed which generally left me embarrassed and still footing the bill.

Yesterday, I felt the urge to fight back but I stopped myself and took a breath. I asked the billing clerk if there were any provisions for someone in my circumstances. I explained that it would be difficult for me to pay the bill. She told me that they could write off part of the bill but I would have to pay the rest. I reluctantly accepted my fate.

Later I dropped a form off at her office. Surprise! She told me that she found a way to get the bills covered. I would owe almost nothing. I feel a little like one of Pavlov's dogs. I feel myself being conditioned toward civility. I guess you can teach an old dog...

No comments:

Post a Comment