Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 10

I skipped a day (Day 9) and I feel like a total loser. I committed to blog everyday for a year and here I am in week 2 and I've already skipped a day. I should be severely punished. Granted I did finish my dissertation and I have been exhausted but I MADE A COMMITMENT.

I guess I have always been a stickler for this kind of thing. If I say I am going to do something, I do. My dad was an alcoholic - totally unreliable. I was determined to be different - if not altogether sane. I do realize that my rigidity borders on being pathological at times. I live by a rigid set of rules - rules I refuse to compromise.

As you might imagine, this leads to problems. For example, lately I have been worried that my son will flunk out of school and move back in with us. I told a friend this yesterday and she said, "You don't have to let him move in with you." My response: "I could never turn him away if he didn't have a place to stay." See another rule: If your child needs a place to stay, you as a parent have to provide one for him. Hmmm. Is it possible that some of these rules not only could but should be changed?

No comments:

Post a Comment