Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day 21

Today is Donna's birthday. She is 46 years old. We were friends from the time we were both 8. I haven't talked to her in almost two years. That's the math. I, however, am a person who prefers stories to equations.

For many years I referred to Donna as my "best friend." When we were teenagers she moved across the country to live with my family. Later, when we were in our 20's I made the move to be near her. We made the decision to go to college together and graduated on the same day. She was there when I divorced. I was there while she recovered from surgery.

A few years ago we drifted apart. I was never sure why. There was just this distance between us. Maybe it had to do with her health problems. Maybe it had to do with my new marriage. I don't know. I tried to reconnect but didn't know how. Then she sent me the equivalent of a "Dear John Letter" via email. I has hurt but knew that I needed to let go of this friendship.

I still wish it could have been different. But more and more the grief is giving way to new possibility. And wherever Donna is today, I hope she is having a great birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment