Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 182

I have chronic allergies and sinusitis. Yesterday, I was having a particularly annoying bout of sneezing and stuffiness when I decided have a little talk with my sinuses. The conversation went something like this:


I said: "So, what do you want? Why are you here? What are you trying to teach me?"


Much to my surprise, my sinuses replied, " I am shutting you off from the world for a little while. See how your breathing is restricted? I'm trying to tell you that sometimes you are too open. You need to remove yourself from the world once in a while - take time to be truly alone."


Hmmm. My sinuses were sounding pretty wise so I decided to take their advice. I got out my noise canceling headphones and a blindfold and planted myself in a comfortable position on the futon in my office.


Without any noise or light from the outside world, I could only hear my own Darth Vadar-like breathing. It was like being in an isolation chamber. I felt like I was floating. I stayed that way for maybe 10 minutes before I decided to return to the world.


When I did return, I could breath a little easier. Maybe my sinuses just wanted to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment