Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 174

When I was in my twenties, I worked with a man who I perceived as an old hippy. He was always going to weekend workshops on various wu-wu topics and techniques. I remember asking him once about his plans for the weekend; he said that he was going to a breathing workshop. I had a good laugh over that. A breathing workshop? I was pretty sure that I didn't need a breathing workshop, after all I had been breathing my whole life.

Today I was talking with a friend who was stressed out. The best advise I could give? Breath. In fairness, it is the advise I most often give to myself when I feel overwhelmed, frustrated, afraid...

On a physical level, conscious breathing offers relief from the tightness and constriction that accompany stress. I sometimes actually forget to breath; other times I pant like a dog. I need a little reminder. Breath. More importantly, conscious breathing slows down a racing mind. It forces a focus on the here and now and prevents catastrophizing.

All this and it's absolutely free!

No comments:

Post a Comment