Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 172

I had a dream last night; someone I love was in prison. It was painful to visit and see him confined and herded about like an animal.

I have been fascinated with prisons and prisoners for most of my adult life. I used to speculate about why and imagine that perhaps I was a prisoner myself in a previous life or that I was experiencing a premonition of events to come. I suspect that the truth is much less fantastical.

We are all imprisoned in various ways. We lock parts of ourselves away in psychic cells. We create cellblocks of fear and shame. I sometimes imagine going into these cellblocks with a flashlight, illuminating every dark corner. I imagine unlocking the cell doors and leaving them wide open.

I long to be free. I suspect, however, than I cannot truly be free until all sentient beings are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment