Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 179

When I was a teenager and young adult one of my primary goals in life was to turn other people to my will. I would plead and threaten and cajole to get the people in my life to do what I wanted them to do. I didn't think much about the consequences.

Oh, yes, there were consequences. When people are manipulated into doing things that they do not want to do, they usually become angry and resentful. This resentment can fester and grow only to be revealed weeks, months or years later. The manipulator pays the price.

I have paid for my manipulations on more than one occasion and I have finally wised up. Now, I never want people to give me more than they want to. Please do not sacrifice your own needs and desires for mine. Do not put me and my needs first. If you take care of you and I take care of me, we all get taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment