Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 160

One of the things I find interesting about middle-age is the increased sensitivity of my body's early warning system. When I was in my 20's I could abuse my body in a myriad of ways and wake up only slightly groggy - recovering quickly to do it all over again. But now, if I don't get enough sleep or I eat the wrong thing my body let's me know in no uncertain terms that I better change my ways or there will be hell to pay.

Yesterday I woke and looked in the mirror at a mass of dry, frizzled hair, a huge zit just under my nose and the beginning of a cold sore. I think it was the cold sore that spoke to me most clearly.

It said, "Listen, we both know that you have been a little too focused on taking care of other people lately. What about Debbie? When are you going to start taking care of her? Look at yourself, you are a mess. You didn't exercise or meditate yesterday and you're eating way too much chocolate. Wake up girl! This is not a dress rehearsal. If it were, you would be playing the old hag because that's what you look like today. Now go put your feet up for a while, read a book, breathe...and for God's sake get a good conditioner."

Cold sores can be nasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment