Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 169

Sometimes I encounter a person in a social situation that I simply do not like. I find myself being critical and abrasive and, in some cases, openly hostile. If I really examine what is going on in these situations I find that I am frustrated by an inability to connect.

Some people put up walls to keep other people out. Sometimes I put up walls, maybe because the other person reminds me of someone from my past, someone with whom I have unfinished business.

How can we begin to poke holes in those walls so that we can really see each other? Perhaps the next time I find myself face to face with a person I don't like I need to try to see beyond the walls that stand between us. It might be as simple saying: "Tell me more about yourself," and then listening for the sound of our common humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment