Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 170

I had friends over today for lunch. They stayed until dinner time which, to my way of thinking, is a sign of success. It is success worth celebrating because there was a time when I seldom invited company to my home. When I did I obsessively cleaned and frantically planned. I worried about whether they would like the food, whether they would like my house, whether they would like me.

I have learned a few things about throwing a party. I invite people who I like, people who like me, people who are not inclined to judge my worth by the quality of my furnishings. I make food that I enjoy and take pleasure in sharing it. I focus on the conversation instead of the dirty windows. I'm sure that Martha Stewart would be appalled. That's why I never invite her.

No comments:

Post a Comment