Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 155

It is reported that Suzuki-roshi used to say to his students: "All of you are perfect just as you are and you could use a little improvement." I have been trying to hold these two seemingly contradictory thoughts at the same time, to accept myself as I am right now and to know that changes might also be good.

For example, I would like to be a better listener. I would like to create a safe place for others to share their pain and joy with me. I would like to experience authentic connection with those around me. Yet I recognize that I do all kinds of things that get in the way. Rather than beat myself up,I am trying to accept the circumstances I find myself in, observe my thoughts and actions and hold an intention for meaningful change.

I suppose it is growth that lets us know we are alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment