Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 90

I do not like clutter. I have heard it said that we sometimes have to clear out the old to make room for the new. I have no problem giving a sweater I never wear to the Goodwill. Getting rid of things I no longer need makes me feel lighter, less encumbered, more spacious.

People are a different story. I have sometimes found myself in relationships that I have outgrown. They no longer fit. I want to move on but don't know how. Sometimes I meet people and know that we have nothing in common. In my effort to be nice I linger too long. How do we remove ourselves from situations and relationships that have nothing to offer us?

I heard a story today about the Dalai Lama. It seems that when he meets someone he tries to ascertain their intentions. If he believes that they are not sincere in their intentions, he merely turns to them, presses his palms together at his chest, bows, and says, "Thank you very much." Then he leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment