Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 104

Sometimes we find wisdom in the most unlikely places. A few years ago I walked into the bathroom at the Green Frog, a coffee shop in Palouse, Washington. There, hanging on the wall beside the toilet, was a small, framed wall hanging, not unlike an old time cross stitch. It said:

They say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But I say that what doesn't kill you messes you up for a really long time and you're lucky to get it together ever again.

I laughed until I cried. The sarcastic edge of that little piece of poetry so captured what I was feeling at the time. It was a dark time for me, my "dark night of the soul." I scrambled for a scrape of paper and jotted down the words of wisdom before I left the Green Frog. These words have been taped to my desk since, a reminder of where I've been.

No comments:

Post a Comment