Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 108

The NVC process developed by Marshall Rosenberg guides us to focus on our needs. Sometimes I identify a need and immediately move into a strategy for meeting that need.

A few years ago I identified my own need to belong and contribute to community. I didn't really know how to meet this need. However, I had attended a church in Spokane a few years earlier when Bill was in the hospital there. I remembered a sense of genuine hospitality that was overwhelming. People there looked me in the eyes and welcomed me with warm smiles and gentle handshakes. I felt embraced and safe. It was a nurturing place. I wanted to be part of that community. I made the decision to move to Spokane as soon as I finished school.

That was a few years ago. My perspective has changed since then. I now see that I can get my needs met right here. Moving to Spokane was just one strategy for meeting my need for community. More and more I see that I need to avoid getting too caught up on any one strategy. I prefer to remain open and aware of my needs, establish clear intentions and see where the stream of life carries me.

No comments:

Post a Comment