Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 73

Vegetable soup is nourishing on so many levels. This morning I went to the store and bought all of the ingredients: cabbage and tomatoes and carrots, and zucchini and summer squash and onion and broccoli and cauliflower. The colors were vibrant and alive. I brought them all home and took out the chopping board. The chopping is my favorite part - so elemental. I seldom feel as engaged and useful as when I am chopping vegetables. I put it all in a big pot and turned up the heat. I removed the lid about a dozen times in spite of warnings about watched pots. The sprinkled in a generous supply of salt and oregano and basil and pepper, especially pepper. I was thinking of a great little restaurant in Walla Walla where they used to serve this really wonderful peppery vegetable soup. Finally, I ladled myself up a big bowl. It was a feast for my eyes and nose, as well as my taste buds. I put the rest in quart jars to share with a few friends. I always make too much and that is the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment