Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 60

There is actually a psychiatric disorder that is associated with the struggles that some people experience in adjusting to stressors and life circumstances. It is called adjustment disorder. Doesn't everyone experience anxiety in response to change? I know I do. Of course, I may very well be mentally ill. Normal is overrated anyway.

Yesterday the symptoms of my newly self-diagnosed adjustment disorder were particularly acute. In other words, I was stressed out. I decided to go to the gym to get a hit of endorphins. Instead, I got a dose of Oprah while I was pedaling the stationary bike. Her guest was Roger Ebert who survived cancer but lost his ability to eat or speak. He was so grateful to be alive and so full of joy.

When I turned on the TV and started pedaling I was worried - thinking about what I should do with my life after I finish my degree. He reminded me to live. Perspective is everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment