Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 58

A bad mood can definitely be contagious. This morning I was excited about some ideas that I wanted to share with my partner. He was feeling a little grouchy and didn't respond in the way I might have liked. I needed to be heard and understood. I was hoping to connect and experience a sense of mutuality. Instead he grumbled. Later I found myself grumbling. I must have caught it from him.

I am trying to build my immunities so that I don't have to pick up and become infected by every little germ of a mood I am exposed to. I have to remind myself that other people have feelings that are completely divorced from me. My partner's bad mood usually has almost nothing to do with my actions. I have, in the past, had a habit of assuming responsibility for the feelings of everyone around me. If Bill was pissed off I was convinced that I had done something wrong. It was all part of this crazy idea that the whole world revolves around me. I still have to remind myself that it doesn't. I also have to remind myself that even my partner isn't available every moment of every day to meet my needs. Sometimes I need to look elsewhere for an open ear and empathic response.

I feeling much better now. Who know, maybe that will be contagious too.

No comments:

Post a Comment