Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 62

I have a love / hate relationship with meetings. I love the opportunity to connect with people and talk about ideas that are alive. These kinds of meetings are rare, but they keep me coming back. More common are meetings where I am forced to endure the discussion of topics that are for me dull and inane. Slow and tedious procedures threaten my sanity. Boredom is my great enemy.


My boredom grows out of the need for stimulation, engagement, excitement, LIFE. The strategies I use to alleviate the boredom and meet my needs are pretty dysfunctional. I usually get critical and pick fights. It is not a good way to win friends and influence people. I am looking for new strategies:

I could leave.

I could avoid meetings where I am likely to be bored.

I could focus on what I am getting out of the meeting instead of focusing on the boredom.

I could go to the happy place in my mind.

I could breath.

I could doddle or write or read a book.

I could ask if anyone else is bored.

I could change the topic.

Today I practiced a strategy that I really liked. I sat in a meeting and made peace cranes. Granted it is a little odd. But it helped me slow down and stay grounded. I didn't pick any fights. I better stock up on paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment