Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 64

One of the students in one of my online Ethnic Diversity classes posted a cryptic message. The message read: "There is no such thing as Black and White culture." She went on to criticize the course content for being too focused on "Black and White culture."

Frankly, I wasn't sure what she was talking about. I wasn't even sure how to probe for more information. I was concerned that I might sound confrontational. Instead, I ignored her. Other students in the class also ignored her.

By week 4 of class she had posted over 100 messages - most centered on this message: "There is no such thing as Black and White culture." I began to get frustrated. Why was she repeating herself? Then it occurred to me, she's repeating herself because she needs to be heard. She has received absolutely no confirmation from me or from her classmates that she is being heard.

I tried my best to reflect back to her what I was hearing. It was difficult but as I reread her posts I could see that underneath all the hyperbole she was expressing a desire for people to come together and be united. She was frustrated by the artificial barriers that race and ethnicity create. This class for her was bringing up painful realities. More than anything she needed empathy (just like me).

No comments:

Post a Comment