Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 69

Today I was putting the finishing touches on my dissertation (draft #2). The candidate (that' s me) is required to have a cover page, an abstract, a table of contents, and a signature page all placed before the first numbered page of text. I needed to know how to suppress the page numbers on pages 1 - 4 and number the pages beginning with page 5.

I tried Microsoft Word Help, I tried Google, I called my son, I called the computer lab at the college, I called every computer wiz I know. Finally I gave up. It was all over. I would not get my degree, all because I failed to master the nuances of Microsoft Word. I started to cry.

Then I started to laugh. This was truly ridiculous. I am a woman who survived heartbreak and illness and horrible bosses and tornadoes and cross-country moves and childbirth, for God's sake and I was being brought to my knees by meaningless little rules.

Time for a little perspective - and maybe a nice massage or a stiff drink, or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment