Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 191

I know that it is a little dangerous to talk about the voices in your head but I have one that has been increasingly persistent. I often hear this gentle voice saying in a whisper, "Pay attention."

Most of us have heard these words from parents and teachers. Very often it is issued as a command, "Pay attention!" What they mean is "Pay attention to me!" and "Show me that you were paying attention by doing what I told you to do."

I wonder how different the world would be if we told our children to pay attention to the world around them...everything...the earth, the sky, the people...their place in it all. What if we told them to pay attention to their own their own thoughts and feelings...the unique expression of their hearts and spirits?

I think that's what this little voice is telling me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment