Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 228

Yesterday I went to a church that I used to attend years ago. It is a "new thought" church with a charismatic minister. There was a lot of exuberant singing and swaying and dramatic exaltations with hands raised toward heaven. There were lots of words said in praise.

I used to find this sort of thing uplifting. The words were a comfort to me. Now I find that I appreciate the silence much more than any words. As I was sitting there in this beautiful chapel, I longed to simply breath and experience the moment. I wanted to shush the minister.

It is tempting to think that this is progress. I know that is my ego talking. The change in me merely reflects different circumstances. Perhaps some day I will find myself back in that chapel and I will find that the words suit my needs perfectly. I will be no closer to enlightenment nor any further away.

No comments:

Post a Comment