Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 361

Last night Bill and Kat got into an intellectual disagreement. It involved philosophy and science and the philosophy of science - very heady stuff. It was interesting to listen to. I was too emotionally invested, however, to fully enjoy the debate.

At one point their voices became strained; I could read the tension on their faces. They were talking over each other, barely waiting for the other to finish speaking before leaping in to foist another intellectual jab. Their mutual frustration hung in the air; it felt dangerous. I worried that someone might get hurt.

Later, when I was falling off to sleep, I could hear them talking in another room. Bill said something that was muffled by the walls between us. Kat laughed. I huddled into the blankets and felt warmed by their comradery, my love for each of them multiplied by their shared affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment