Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 356

So, what do you do when someone you love is acting like an asshole? That was the question I found myself asking yesterday. I am well trained so I immediately responded, "You love them anyway, of course. They are probably just crying out for empathy.

This was the moment when that little devil in me reared his ugly head and said: "Fuck that! What about me? What about what I need? I'm tired of being kind and understanding."

"Oh, so you need empathy too," the little angel was speaking now. "It sounds like your needs are not being met in this relationship right now. Maybe you need to take a minute to experience those feelings of disappointment and figure out how to take care of yourself."

I think I was finally able to find common ground between the angel and the devil in a place where everyone gets their needs met.

No comments:

Post a Comment